Can you “POISON” your body with “TOXIC” food?

12th February, 2014

Food is not toxicNo food deemed fit for human consumption is “toxic” (or poisonous) unless you eat too much of it and even then use of the word “toxic” is highly debatable.

I recently read (in a somewhat dubious source) that a natural chemical in quinoa called saponins may be “toxic” to our bodies. However, it is useful to bear in mind that ALL plant sources of food contain many natural chemicals, which in EXCESS, may have adverse affects. 

It seems to be the trend these days to make claims about various foods being “toxic” (think sugar). The media loves words like “toxic” and “poison” as they are emotive and grab your attention. Most media is less interested in whether or not these statements are factual.

I would just like to make the point that even water in large enough doses has harmful effects on the body and therefore could be labelled “toxic”.

Enjoy all types of food in moderation and you’ll be just fine and probably live well into your 80s or 90s like your parents and grandparents who ate all food without fear of “toxins”.

Please click on the Facebook icon and like our page to support us on our mission to dispel food and nutrition myths!